Friday, January 21, 2011

sorry honey, the vicodin is for mommy


TEETHINGGGGGG!!! when will it end??? I'm 30 and I'm still having teething pains. only mine are caused by ridiculous laziness on my end for never having my wisdom teeth removed when i was under my mom's dental insurance plan back in college. fast forward to now where I'm in ungodly pain and have to get them out. at least my oral surgeon took enough pity on me to write a prescription for painkillers. but its fun when you have to take them for real pain! right now, i need someone to come over with a few shots of Novocaine and an unlimited supply of vicodin because i don't think i have enough to get through the weekend.


if we could only give our little ones a higher dose of pain meds. teething absolutely blows for the babies. it wakes them up ALL NIGHT (carrie, you have my infinite condolences for your sleep deprivation and unwanted bite marks), it makes them ravenous for anything chewable whether it be a teething ring, the side of the coffee table or any body part in strike zone. take for instance, my lovely k... her molars are still coming in and I'm dreading when the canines start pushing through. shes completely addicted to her 'ahhhs' which are these amazing little homeopathic teething strips made by humphreys. she calls them her ahhhs because of when we first gave them to her, we made her open her mouth and say 'ahh,' hence, it became their name.


anyhoo- the other night, she was feeling teethy so i distracted her with about 10 sessions of itsy bitsy spider while sitting on her lap. we had a great time so for the finale of the umpteenth one, i gave her a good tickle. that led into a fun tickle laughathon until she got way too excited and chomped down on my arm. AND DIDN'T LET GO. apparently it must have felt great on her gums so she held on long enough for me to yell obscenities and for her to break the skin. i now have what looks like a picked-at mosquito bite with a big bruise around it. poor thing just needed some teething relief, and i have the scar to prove it. shes like a snapping turtle... for goodness sake, don't put your finger near her mouth or else she will chomp it off!

that being said- i feel bad that there isn't baby vicodin for when they are really in pain. and you know when they are... that miserable, wont eat, cant sleep pain that happens when those pesky baby teeth push push push on those poor little gums. i can deal with cranky and needing a frozen washcloth to chew on, but for those awful days i wish i could give her something stronger. but in the meantime, as i battle my mouth pain that is being surprisingly resistant to my prescription painkillers, my heart goes out to our little ones who have to deal with it 20 times in only 2 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment